Busby Bags J.D. Byrider 150

Defending Super Truck point champion Brent Busby of Anderson bagged the biggest race of the year for the Phillippe Eco Water Systems Super Trucks by winning the J.D. Byrider 150 Saturday evening at the Anderson Speedway.  

Current point leader Rich Boyer of Anderson captured the Terry's RV Street Stock headliner while Middletown's Ronnie Phipps was the Figure 8 Main master and Don Sterck the Baby Grand winner.
A $1,500 payday was on the line for the Super Trucks with Joe Beaver setting fast time (13.630 seconds) and Brent Busby qualifying along side to set up an exciting 150 lap event.

Even though Busby grabbed the lead at the get-go and was never headed, the race was awesome with a tremendous amount of side by side racing, passes and nose to tail gate racing going on in the pack behind Busby.

The yellow flew on lap 17 for a fire under the hood of Andrew Brown. The yellow came again 20 laps later for oil from the blown engine of Rodney Fout Jr. The race took a 10 minute pit stop at halfway with Tony Broyles, Jack Dossey Jr., Joe Beaver and Bret Miles running second through fifth behind Busby.

At that point, 11 trucks remained on the lead lap. Minor spins plagued the second half of the race.  On lap 130, things began to heat up with Beaver going to third and Josh Burton to fourth. On lap 142, Bob Lemen  and Mike Mendenhall locked horns for the final yellow setting up a dash to the checker.

 Broyles was able to close on Busby at the finish because Busby ran out of gas at the start finish line at the checker. Broyles was second followed by Beaver, Dossey and Burton.

A four car inversion draw helped the fastest of the Street Stocks start up front. Boyer led the entire distance and like Busby in the truck race, saw a lot of heavy duty racing going on behind him.

Terry Burton made a move on Jason Pitts with three laps to go to take second. Pitts crossed the line third with Danny Acrey II in fourth position.. Kevin Montgomery passed Jake Owens on lap 21 to come home fifth.

Boyer and Montgomery were both disqualified during after race inspections, giving the win to Terry Burton.

Curtis Chapman led the fast heat flag to flag to win over Darwin Blankenship and Montgomery. Ronnie Phipps captured the checker in heat No. 2 over Chris Miller and Jeff Powers. Chris Miller was disqualified for failing to report to tech. Terry Burton was fast qualifier at 14.332 seconds.

In Figure 8 racing, it was Ronnie Phipps challenging all comers at the crossover to win his third feature and second in a row. Ricky Tharp and Bobby Long never left Phipps and avoided several close calls in the crossover.

Tharp, Long, Joe Hart Jr. and Johnny Magee rounded out the top five. Ronnie Phipps also copped the coins in the fast heat over point leader Ronnie Rose and Tharp. John Goforth took the win in heat No. 2 over Mickey Gray and Doug Sheets. Magee was fast timer at 20.367 seconds.

In Baby Grand action, Matt Goodnight took the lead in the feature only to tangle with Jim Dugan. Goodnight was sidelined and Dugan took the lead. Dugan was hounded by Kevin Liles with Liles being passed by Don Sterck on lap 13.

Sterck arrived at the track late and had to start dead last. On lap 15, Sterck zipped by Dugan for the lead and never looked back. Trailers were Dugan, Liles, Chad Ramsey and Al Verbish. Dugan was fast qualifier at 14.010 seconds.

For additional information contact Anderson Speedway at (765) 642-0206.