VanDoorn Repeats Anderson 125 Win; Phipps, Harmon Also Visit Winner's Circle
Just as he did a year ago Michigan driver John VanDoorn started the 2010 Champion Racing Series season with a win at Anderson Speedway on Saturday.

A year ago VanDoorn didn’t move to the top spot until 34 laps remained in the Anderson 125 with a pass of Eddie Hoffman and he went on to victory.

This year was a different story with the same ending as VanDoorn led all 125 laps for his third victory at Anderson Speedway. Starting from the outside of the front row VanDoorn jumped into the lead and was chased the entire distance by Wisconsin driver Matt Kocourek.

Kocourek appeared to put on a late charge with 35 laps remaining running on the rear bumper of VanDoorn as the two leaders approached traffic and with Rick Turner and Terry Fisher Jr. closing when the caution flag waved on lap 107 when Jack Smith lost an engine.

On the final restart with 8 laps remaining VanDoorn pulled away to win by .29 seconds over Kocourek with Turner, Fisher and Jeff Lane rounding out the top five.

The final order was jumbled on lap 118 when Brian Campbell spun in turn one while running sixth which allowed Dietsch and Tommy St. John to move up one position.

The race was slowed six times by caution flags with 12 of the 27 cars that started the Anderson 125 running on the lead lap at the finish.

“We brought a new set-up here,” VanDoorn said. “The team worked hard on the car over the winter. A good way to start the year on winning note.”

Fisher claimed his first career quick time in qualifying with CRA and because of the invert started on the inside of the second row. He dropped back to fifth early in the race, but moved back around Jason Dietsch to claim the fourth position.

The most impressive run of the night was turned in by Muncie driver Jim Crabtree Jr. barely remained on the lead lap midway through the event when a caution flag waved on lap 74.

Crabtree continued to battle toward the front and finished eighth after starting 20th.

Tyler Roahrig started 19th and finished one spot behind Crabtree.

It was a short night for Aaron Pierce of Daleville who had a suspension part break on his Chevrolet on the 22nd lap and made contact with the front straight wall while running sixth at the time.

Driving a new car Anderson’s Rod Phipps led all 25 laps to capture his second Figure-8 feature win of the young season. Phipps was chased for the entire race by Curtis Chapman, but never seriously challenged for the lead.

“This is a good way to start the year,” Phipps said. “The car was really dialed in tonight.”

Johnny Magee drove to a third place finish followed by Dale Phillips and Jason Pitts.
Kevin Harmon set fast time in the Front Wheel Drive division and during the feature set sail with Chris Teepe in tow for the entire 20 laps.

The two leaders pulled away by a wide margin, but there was a spirited battle for the third position by Gary Bragg Sr., Robert Kelm, Elliott McKinney and Frank Gasho.

Bragg grabbed the third spot with an inside move on Aaron Jones coming off the second corner.

“My teammate (Teepe) got along side me in traffic and I didn’t know what was going to happen,” Harmon, the 2008 track champion said.

Next Saturday is the first of four Night of Thrills events featuring School Bus figure-8, Culver’s trailer races, roll over contest, cork screw race, mini-cups and Pure Stock. Racing action starts at 7 p.m.