Lundy Gets First ThunderCar Feature Win; Wyman Crashed in Practice
Before climbing out of her Thunder Car in victory lane, Hannah Lundy pounded her fist on the hood of the Chevy and then climbed up on the roof to the delight of the fans at Anderson Speedway.

The Alexandria driver scored her first ever feature win in the WMDH Thunder Car division, a win that saw veteran Rod Phipps closing at the finish.

Starting from the front row of the feature event, Lundy jumped into the lead chased by Earl Adams II., Nick Warner, Sam Folsom, Phipps.

Phipps used the outside line to pass both Adams and Warner in turn three on the fifth lap to claim the second spot. Meanwhile Lundy was pulling away from the field.

For the next ten laps Phipps and Warner battled for the second position with Phipps finally gaining the upper hand and set his sights on Lundy.

With each passing lap Phipps closed on Lundy as she was working around lapped traffic.

On the final lap Lundy got held up behind the car of Ronald Adams with Phipps putting on a late charge through turn three.

Coming off the fourth corner Phipps dove to the inside and at the finish line was within a half a car length from claiming the win.

Lundy won by .060 seconds over Phipps with Warner, Earl Adams II and Folsom rounding out the top five.

"It felt great," Lundy said of the win.

"I thought he (Phipps) was behind me," she said. "I wasn't confident at all, I thought he was behind me the whole time. I was expecting to feel his bumper."

There was plenty of passing in the first of two heat races.

Terry Malone Jr. took the early lap followed by Earl Adams II, Tony Grissom, Phipps and Warner.

Phipps used the outside line on laps three and four to pass Adams and Chapman to take the point. Warner moved around Malone with an outside pass entering turn one on lap five and Adams passed Malone with an inside move entering the first corner on the ninth lap.

At the finish it was Phipps winning by .191 seconds over Warner with Adams rounding out the top three.

In the second heat race the early lead was taken by Rodney Milliner, who was passed on the back straight by Folsom. Lundy moved outside Milliner on lap five, but was unable to close on the leader.

Folsom recorded his third heat win of the season followed by Lundy and Milliner.

During the practice session point's leader Rob Wyman had a throttle stick entering the first corner and he made contact with the outside retaining wall which resulted in significant damage to his Chevrolet.