Pierce Scores Winged Sprint Car Victory After Last Lap Pass; Harmon Wins FWD Race
(October 30, 2010) – Daleville’s Aaron Pierce made a strong move on the final lap to pass Tim Cox on the front straight for the win in the HOSS winged sprints at Anderson Speedway on Saturday.

Cox took the lead at the start from the outside of the front row with Pierce starting on the pole and fell back to third.

On the eighth lap Pierce got inside of Jeff Kaiser entering turn one and then for the next 31 laps chased Cox in and out of traffic.

Pierce was able to get inside of Cox coming off the second corner and the two cars went side down the straight away and into turn three. With Cox stuck behind a slower car, Pierce was able to grab the lead coming off the fourth corner winning by .127-seconds.

“Scared myself at the end,” Pierce said. “Thing it’s a great win.”

Tim Cox said he saw the slower car slip in the corner and then realized that Pierce was underneath him for the pass.

Early in the race the driver on the move was fast qualifier Charlie Shultz, who started fifth as a result of the inversion.

Shultz fell back to sixth but then moved into the fifth position on lap three with an inside pass of Jeff Rankin in turn one and a lap later moved into the fourth spot with a pass of Jason Cox.

Following Pierce and Tim Cox to the finish were Kaiser, Rankin and Shultz, who faded in the final ten laps.

Ohio driver Shultz making his first appearance at Anderson Speedway established a new track record for the winged sprints turning a lap at 10.247 seconds (87.83 miles per hour). Shultz lap broke the mark set by Jason Blonde on May 26 at 10.284 seconds (87.514 mph).

Illinois driver Jason Cox captured the 2010 HOSS Outlaw Winged Sprint championship and rookie of the year honors.

Chesterfield’s Kevin Harmon inherited the lead on lap 15 when leader Jeff Williams spun in turn two to capture the final Front Wheel Drive oval feature event of the season.

The early lead was taken by Trevin Henson, but he was passed on the fourth circuit by Kevin Henson on the front straight. Kevin Henson’s lead was short as he was passed by Jerry Dane two laps later.

Fast qualifier Jeff Williams took the lead from Dane with on lap seven and appeared to be on the way to a dominating win when Williams was tapped by a slower car. That gave the lead and the win to Harmon.

Following Harmon to the checkered flag were Keith Morris, Dane, Williams and Kevin Henson.