Johnny VanDoorn Wins Stoops Freightliner Redbud 300

By Ken de la Bastide

(July 20, 2013) - Michigan driver Johnny VanDoorn came to Anderson Speedway intent on winning the Stoops Freightliner Redbud 300 presented by Qdoba, Anderson/Madison County Visitors Bureau and Hoosier Park for the CRA Super Series and accomplished that goal.

VanDoorn led the final 146 laps to win the 40th running of the Stoops Freightliner Redbud 300, by scoring the victory he took another step closer to winning the JEGS Triple Crown Challenge and the $100,000 bonus.

By winning the Stoops Freightliner Redbud 300 and earlier in the year at Berlin Raceway, VanDoorn has assured himself of a $20,000 bonus. A win in the Winchester 400 will earn him the $100,000.

Although VanDoorn led the final circuits, he was pressed the entire distance by T.J. Reaid, who was never more than a couple of car lengths off his rear bumper.

Defending champion Ross Kenseth finished third followed by Eddie Van Meter and Travis Braden.

Greenfield’s Kenny Tweedy drove to a sixth place finish after starting 25th in the field.

“I’m not thinking about the money,” VanDoorn said after the win. “During the winter we talked about winning the longer races. Finished in the top three, but never got a win.

“Anytime you can win a short track race with all this history is special,” he said. “It takes the car, driver and crew to win.”

VanDoorn said his tires were starting to fade over the final 25 laps, which allowed Reaid to close to within a half-second.

“We were set up for the short runs and we had a 75-lap green flag run.” he said.

Reiad said his car was a little bit off the set-up and the right rear tire was worn out.

“I needed to be a little bit better,” he said. “We had no forward bite to complete the pass.”

Kenseth said his car got tight after the sun went down,

Braden led following the break by taking no tires, but it was a decision that sent hit rapidly down the scoring list.

VanDoorn took the lead on a restart on lap 154 following a two-car incident, by using the outside line to get around Braden on the back straight. Over the next three laps Braden was passed by VanMeter, Reaid, Kenseth and Terry Fisher Jr.

Eddie VanMeter took the lead from early leader Ross Kenseth following a restart on lap 51 after a multi-car accident in turn two.

Kenseth took the lead from the pole position after the fastest six qualifiers were inverted for the start. VanMeter went to the outside entering turn one and led until the mid-race break.

After passing Kenseth, VanMeter was challenged by Johnny VanDoorn and T.J. Reaid, the fast qualifier. The final 72 laps went caution free until the mid-point break.

The front four drivers maintained a comfortable margin over Joe Beaver, who ran unchallenged for the fifth spot.

The first caution flag came out when rookie of the year contender Brandon Oakley spun after making contact with Beaver in turn two and collected the car of Bubba Pollard, who suffered right front damage.

The second caution flag flew on lap 53 when 2011 race winner made contact with the turn three wall. The final caution of the first half came on lap 70 when J.R. Roahrig spun through the infield grass and hit the turn three outside retaining wall.

The race was slowed six times by caution flags for a total of 46 laps.

There were three lead changes among four different drivers.

Racing action returns to Anderson Speedway on Saturday, July 27, with the Edgewater Wood/Alzheimer’s Awareness Night featuring Street Stocks, WMDH ThunderCars and Front Wheel Drives Oval & Figure 8.